Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Blog #2- Emerging Technologies

After using the technologies such as games, interactive whiteboard activites, simulations/role playing, and virtual reality/worlds, my opinon on each differs. I think that the games and interactive whiteboard activities are a good way to get kids involved and having fun while learning and I could highly see myself using these technologies in my future classroom. I could also see myself using a simulation when appropriate to further explain something that I was teaching. As far as virtual reality/worlds go, I don't think they are helpful or neccessary in an educational setting.

A game that I chose that I thought would be helpful in bettering students' vocabulary is the hangman game on "The Problem Site". It is the classic game of hangman; however, it uses more advanced words that most students might not know. If a student doesn't know what the word means, the site will give them a definition. Another technology that I looked at was the Third World Farmer simulation. Although I probably wouldn't use that specific simulation in my english classroom, I think it's a great way to engage students in their learning. If you're teaching a history class about farming in the third world, this simulation would express the extremity of farming in the third world. 

3 comments:

  1. Kelsey,

    Electronic hangman could be a lot of fun at a SMARTBoard - some versions work and some don't. It is too bad the vocabulary was more advanced then the level of students you would work with. However, you are correct when you not that these emerging technologies do engage students. - CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey. so i totally agree with your blog! personally, i love hangman, and growing up it was a great way to learn and a fun way to learn different words, phrases, etc. It was also a great way to learn using other methods, such as being aware of your surroundings and thinking outside of the box. love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey,
    I really enjoyed your page and i agree with you on how the smartboard will get the kids involved. Hangman is one of the best games to play in school, i missed that on the webpage so now i can go out and try it!

    ReplyDelete